Sodium chloride is used in pyrotechnics as delay agent in a few glitter formulas, but besides that, it is hardly ever used, since it is very hygroscopic. It is white or colourless solid in the form of crystals or powder.
Sodium chloride can be purchased almost anywhere.
If inhaled it may cause mild irritation to the respiratory tract. Ingestion in very large can
cause vomiting, diarrhoea, and prostration. Dehydration and congestion occur in most internal
organs. Hypertonic salt solutions can produce violent inflammatory reactions in the gastrointestinal tract. Skin Contact may irritate damaged skin; absorption can occur with effects similar to those via ingestion. Eye Contact causes irritation, redness, and pain.