Gummed paper

Gummed paper is a type of kraft paper that has as water-activated adhesive, often dextrin on one side. It is usually sold on rolls used for sealing shipping cartons. Using this tape makes it easier to wind tubes or to paste layers of paper over a round shell. Typical widths are 1 to 4 inches. Three inch width is probably the most common. A damp sponge is often used to activate the adhesive.

Green man

Green man is a legendary pagan deity who roams the woodlands of the British Isles and Europe.


Go-getters are best described as self-propelled stars. They are used in an aerial shell as inserts or the head of a rocket. Each Go-getter is capable flying through the air like a rocket without a stick. The flight of a Go-Getter may be a slow lazy curve, a straight line up to several hundred feet, a zig zag or they may spin wildly in place, overall they travel in wild unpredictable paths.


gi·ran·do·la [ji-ran-dl-uh] [Origin: 1625–35; < F < It girandola, derivative of girare to turn in a circle. The English word of Italian origin Girandole is sometimes used to describe the same device.

Gabe mort

Italian: slang for "dead head".

A large (large i.e., one to forty pounds) sack of flash powder typically suspended from a gallows-type frame at head height. Exploded to create a deafening blast and concussion. Rarely seen in the US outside of pyrotechnic conventions such as the PGI convention. More common in Italy, Mexico and Spain's Mascaletta's(countries typically a little more liberal with firework laws), they are typically fired after the finale.



In an explosive device, a fuse (or fuze) is the part of the device that causes it to function. In common usage, the word fuse is used indiscriminately, but when being specific (and in particular in a military context), fuse is used to mean a simple pyrotechnic detonating device, like the cord on a firecracker, while fuze is used to mean a more complicated device, such as a proximity fuze.


A fountain (also referred to as a gerb) is a thick walled cardboard tube that is filled with pressed pyrotechnic composition. It has a solid clay plug at the base and a nozzle or choke at the exhaust end. At effect time the composition burns and the choke generates intense pressure inside the tube. As the composition escapes it sprays sparks, flame and gasses high into the air.

Flying fish fuse

Flying fish fuse is most commonly used for various coloured effects fireworks even though it can be used in place for regular visco fuse. It is a cord with a pyrotechnic composition core that burns gold, green, red, silver or purple. There are three layers that make up the fuse.


Subscribe to PyroData RSS